FIN 110 Unit 3

For this assignment, I chose two artists to research: Julia Randall & Daniel Zeller!

Julia Randall

BUBBLEHEAD #1, 2010
24” x 18”
colored pencil on paper
GLOBAL TICKLER, 2003
96” x 60”
colored pencil on paper
PINNED PEACH, 2014-2015
30” x 22”
colored pencil on paper
POPPED, 2009
45” x 52”
colored pencil on paper
Lovebird #2, 2004
30” x 22”
colored pencil on paper

https://www.julia-randall.com/

*Julia only owns the website above.*

Daniel Zeller

“Kingston, December 22, 2008,” 2013, graphite on paper, 40 x 50 inches.

https://www.pierogi2000.com/artists/daniel-zeller/

http://www.danielzeller.net/

1
2

How is the work made?

1: Medium – Only colored pencils were used.

Size: 30″x22″

2. Medium: Ink and Acrylic were used.

Size: 21.5″ x 13″

What are the formal elements of the artwork?

1: Shape, Colors, and Balance are used in this drawing.

2: Lines, Movement, Colors, and Patterns are used in this drawing.

What is the context of the work?

1: Pinned Peach was drawn in around 2014-2015 and it was made in New York City, New York as Julia lives and works there. This drawing relates to the scientific subject (human body) which Julia also mentioned on her page.

2: Overconnection was drawn in 2019 and it was made in his studio, Brooklyn, New York as Daniel Zeller lives and has a studio there. This drawing also relates to the scientific subject(human nerves). Daniel also mentioned that his drawings might result in some kind of scientific inquiry but didn’t mention what he actually draws about(I think he lets his audiences to evaluate what he draws and what he wants to convey).

Describe the content/subject of the work.

1: It is a drawing called “Pinned Peach.” It is about the vulnerability of skin(drawing it as swollen to convey that it can pop anytime!) as well as the pain by pinning the skin of a peach.

2: It is a drawing called “Overconnection.” It is about human nerves showing that bringing many ideas into one place and overload. I think this is part of the ongoing theme for Daniel because he draws a lot about scientific stuff.

What is the mood of the work?

1: The mood of this work is sensitive and fragile. I think this drawing will affect me in a way to add sensitivity in my final drawing.

2: The mood of this work is dynamic, flowy, and complex. I think this drawing will affect me in a way to convey my drawing more complex.

Similarities/Differences between Julia Randall and Daniel Zeller

Similarities: Both artists draw about things related to the human body(both psychological and physiological).

Both artists use colors for their drawings.

Differences: They use different mediums(Julia uses color pencils and Daniel uses ink or graphite.).

They have different styles of drawing (Julia uses observation-based drawing and hyper-realistic technique to create images that are surreal and suggestive, on the other hand, Daniel uses repetition of lines (it could be short, long, and rhythmic).

How might their work inspire/influence your own studio practice?

I think their work will inspire in a way to express my drawing more hyperspatial and somewhat grotesque.

Brainstorming

Thumbnail Sketches

After all the brainstorming, I came up with these four ideas.
The first one shows the seclusion and loneliness for the character as people(hands) who were surrounding and caring for the character fade away.
The second one is about the emotions(anxiety) about how I would feel right now and over the last few months.
The third one is actually inspired by one of Julia’s many works. It displays the harmful things coming out of someone’s mouth.
And lastly, the fourth one is about the birth of new life. I didn’t mean to degrade the birth of new life and I wanted to convey something mysterious and grotesque here so I added some dots, zig-zag ish lines, and scratchy lines. From these four ideas, I decided to choose the second idea: which conveys anxiety and uneasiness. The reason I chose that idea is that it is about how I felt over the last few months while taking college classes online and I felt like I would deliver my message the best with this idea.

Progress

Title: Unease

First, I used 2B pencil to sketch lightly to position everything in the right place.
Second, I used Graphite pencils to make lines more significant.
Third, I applied Compressed Charcoals to emphasize the cracks going through the man’s head.
Lastly, I applied all the dots and snipping by using willow charcoals to convey confusion and anxiety that the man feels.

Thank you for teaching throughout the term, Linda! This was a meaningful class to learn more about drawing:) To be honest, it was challenging taking an art class online but I feel like I’ve learned a lot about art since I enrolled in this course. I don’t have any Fine Art class next term but hopefully, I can join one of your classes again in the future. Stay safe and happy early holidays!

-Patrick-